The Guam Power Authority’s (GPA) second wave of 32 employees departed early this morning to continue assistance with Super Typhoon Yutu recovery efforts on Saipan.
Over the last 2 months, GPA linemen, substation, plant electricians, operators, engineers, heavy equipment and plant mechanics and support staff have been working tirelessly to help restore Saipan’s power system. GPA bucket trucks and other vehicles and equipment were also sent out to help support the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (CUC) with restoration. The second wave of responders are expected to be in Saipan for approximately two months.
“This next group of responders comprise of linemen, heavy equipment operators, substation & relay technicians, safety officers along with engineers,” stated GPA Acting General Manager John J. Cruz, P.E., “To date, 75% of Saipan’s power has been restored – our focus will be to restore the remaining 25% as quickly and safely as possible to those residents ready to receive power.”
“This continues to be a complete team effort and the management of GPA greatly appreciates the hard work and sacrifice of our team of responders,” remarked Cruz, “We will work alongside the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation to bring relief to Super Typhoon Yutu stricken residents of Saipan – the Authority has posted a documentary style video on our restoration efforts in Saipan on our Facebook page.”
# # # # #